Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SIKKIM: My dream destination

This lovely incident happened to me just after my class 12th board exams got over. My father planned a holiday to north east India for all of us. After, lot of struggle, debating and convincing I was able to convince everyone for Sikkim. The main reason for my great fascination for the place was one of the chapters in my Hindi textbook of class 10th, a travelogue by Mahadevi Verma. The natural beauty of the place influenced me so much that I spent most of my time daydreaming about it. The influence was so intense that it was still very alive till my class 12th.

At 8 am, we left for my dream destination Sikkim from IGI airport. Oh! Wow, that was my first journey via aero plane and truly a great experience. We reached Baghdogra airport in West Bengal in nearly about two hours. From the airport, we hired a cab for the Gangtok – the capital of Sikkim. We reached the lovely city by 5 p.m.

I belong to Himachal, but haven’t till now seen a place nestled among the scenic mountains, as lovely and picturesque as Gangtok. I must say that Himachal Government must inspire and learn to form an infrastructure as beautifully as the gangtok government has built. Next day with help of a travel agent, my father fixed our trip to the Sikkim’s north. True, that was a perfect decision.

In case you don’t have much time or find the travelling unaffordable, the best option is to visit north-Sikkim or some other unique places.

Our north Sikkim trip was of three days.

Sikkim> Gangtok>North Sikkim>Lachen>lachung



Lachen: We had our first day stay at Lachen. Our cottage was located in a very dark locality which added to our fear. But when in the morning the sweet tattering of a small bird woke up and introduced us to the scenic beauty just outside our window, we forget all our fear and totally mesmerized. The sun could be easily seen behind the Himalaya ranges, spreading its warmth and colours all around. We went to an altitude of 16000 feet, a tiring and backbone troubling journey of 5 hours to Gurdongmar Lake. A view of the lake washed away the entire exertion from our minds. Do visit this place when visiting Sikkim, believe me it would surely prove a lifelong experience.

Lachung: Heavenly beautiful place, Lachung is the true spirit of Sikkim as per me. Our cottage was near to a river.

Then we visited this flower valley- Yumthang valley. But there were very few flowers at that time. Next was zero point, a place located at the indo-china border. 



Next day, we returned back to Gangtok. We captured numerous snaps of waterfalls and scenic locations that came along the way. One of the waterfalls was really huge and our driver told us that it’s called Amitabh Bachchan fall. An amazing piece of knowledge it was!

Soon, the wonderful trip came to end and on reaching Gangtok, we said goodbyes to our other group members. The dream holiday finally came to end, but I swear it’s still very alive in my memories, my thoughts. Will surely visit Sikkim some day again!

No comments:

Post a Comment